1/27/09

Clutter Buster 1 by Garden Angel

So here it is a new year, a new start, a new resolution. If you live in a cold state like I do, you’re in hibernation mode. You can’t go outside to do anything because it’s just too cold. The holidays are over and till spring comes your sitting there looking at your home going, “ I wish I had the energy to do something other than sit here and watch TV, play on the computer, sleep or read a book.”

Winter is hard on all of us with chronic pain. The days are short, energy is low and pain levels are high. We know we will hurt more the longer we sit, yet here we sit. I have a suggestion. It’s not a popular one, but it’s one that will make you feel so much better in the long run. It’s something I save for winter so in the summer I can go out and play. I have found over the years that it gets easier and easier to do.


What is this mystery project? It’s purging!


So now you’re standing there looking at all of that stuff with no idea where to start. The best place to start is with a plan and one step at a time.


Here are some ideas to get you started…


Start by sitting down and writing out a plan of attack. I don’t mean take months to write every detail, just a basic outline with a start and end date will be fine to start. Keep goals realistic and limit work time to a few hours a day, no more. By doing small sections you will feel good each time you reach that goal. Reaching that goal will encourage you to the next goal and the next. By writing a plan of attack you will have an outline of a daily project to do that will keep you going giving you a sense of accomplishment. By keeping the tasks small and working short periods of time you will not over do and will be able to complete each task.


So you’ve made your list, now what? You need to create a sorting area, a work zone. Some place you will be comfortable. I have a large foot stool in front of my couch that I use for sorting. Where ever you sort it will need to be big enough to fold things and still have room for boxes to sort in. Gather your supplies. You will need 4 large boxes, black marker, and hangers if you’re sorting clothes. With the marker label each box, here are some examples: Trash, Donate, Keep, and Return/Sell. The plan is to handle everything no more than three times, once to haul it to your sort site, once to sort, once to put away or move it out. Don’t forget the phone by your sort site, and either music or a TV show that you won’t get lost in. I turn on HGTV the shows keep me motivated.

Be realistic, set limits on amounts of each item, sort with the idea of keeping those things that can be worn more than one way. Things like the basic skirts, basic pants, basic shirts, basic shoes, and accessories to make each thing shine. Less is more. For me I don’t work, but I do go to church so I only have 4 sets of nice clothes for church or events. These all can be in combined in many ways so I don’t need a lot of them. I also work in the garden in summer, so I have 7 work outfits for working in the garden. Then there are comfy clothes for sitting around or running errands. I limit each set of clothes so they fit into the area I have in the closet. I also limit clothes shopping to twice a yr and only after I have purged all clothes that have gotten worn, stained or no longer fit. When shopping for new clothes keep a list of what you need only and don’t over buy. A good rule is something must go out before something new comes in.

OK, you have an area that comfortable to sort in. You have your supplies in that area. You have written goals for the project. You’ve figures out how much of each type of items you really need. This should take up day one. Tomorrow is a new day and a fresh start.


To start the sort take only as many items as you can sort in the time limit you have set for the day. Remember stick to the plan. Now one piece at a time ask yourself the following questions:

1. Have I worn or used this in the last yr?


2. Is it stained or in need of repair?


3. Does it fit?


4. Do I only keep it cause someone gave it to me, but I don’t like it?


5. Does it belong to someone else, or I was asked to store it, or just never returned it?


6. Can it be worn more than one way?


As each box gets full deal with the contents right away. This should be included in that purging time span every day. Go hang up the clothes you are keeping. Make sure you put them in a different area so you won’t have to sort them again. Take care of the items to be donated each week. Toss out the trash items. Each day should be started with empty boxes.


Everyone has those priceless things you will never wear but just can’t seem to part with. You know that prom dress, your wedding dress from your 1st marriage that didn’t last that you paid a fortune for and you want to save for whoever. What do you do with that stuff?
I have 2 suggestions for those items. I’d take a picture of it and say good-bye, but maybe your just not ready to part with the item yet. What do you do then? Let’s try this one, but only with these cherished items nothing else. Put all of your treasures in a box all nice and neat, put a date on it for a limited time span, no more than a yr, don’t write what’s in the box just the date and tape it shut. When the date comes don’t open it just donate it or give it to a consignment shop. The whole goal is to not look at it. It will make it easier to part with if you don’t see it again.


So now, your closet is empty or it should be. I hope while you were doing your clothes whoever you share the closet with if anyone was doing the same. What do you do next? Stuff it all back in there? I don’t think so.

No comments:

Site Meter